Digi-Scene

Taking digizines into the new millenium

Jul 17, 2005

When I'm 64

Posted by Kim |

I've been thinking alot about age lately.

I took a blogging class over the weekend and I found it interesting that of all the samples that the teacher gave in class, most were written by apparently young people. And yet the makeup of our class was decidedly on the older side. I wondered about that disparity and whether this older generation will begin making up for lost time in the not too distant future in the world of blogging. I think that my generation has plenty of interesting things to say, perhaps even more than the young. We just need to embrace the new mechanisms available to us to voice those thoughts. We're not all Luddites, you know.

As I tried in vain to come up with a clever and catchy blog title and URL, only to get the frustrating message "That name is unavailable" over and over again, I finally came up with the brilliant idea that no 20-something is going to even know what a digizine is (or was). For us old timers, it was short for "digital magazine" and was actually the precursor to what blogs have become. My early career in this internet thing was to create a digital version of an existing print publication. Ahhh, the good ol' days of the infancy of this whole web phenom.

I skipped around from blog to blog, reading the exploits of these young hipsters and their wildly exciting lives. "Well, we did it. We eloped and got married in Las Vegas. This is the first of the three weddings we'll be having over the course of the next month." "I'm on an extended road trip through the US with no way to get home even though my tourist visa expires in 6 days!" "I just got back from trekking through the Amazon with 5 people I recently met online. Anyone know of a job that pays well but allows me to drop off the face of the earth on a whim?" This lead to another epiphany for me: I didn't do enough rash and foolish things in my youth. Damn my parents for teaching me to be responsible before my time.

I guess it's quite telling that I never did a single rebellious thing in my life until I reached the ripe old age of 38. I think I might be a late bloomer. Because my misspent youth didn't begin until I was nearly 40, does this mean that I'm actually going to live until I'm about 120?

The thought of me having a midlife crisis in my 60's and getting liposuction and a boob job is faintly disturbing to me....

1 comments:

Kaye said...

I always said you were the good daughter who did NOTHING wrong....guess I was right! Love ya, sis.

Subscribe