Digi-Scene

Taking digizines into the new millenium

Sep 4, 2007

I'm Dooce-Proof

Posted by Kim |

I was recently trying to find some obscure information on Google and was getting frustrated at the kinds of results that Google thought was what I REALLY meant. I don't need Google to interpret what it thinks I mean. I have a message for you cubicle dwellers in Googleland. Stick to the algorithms nerd-boy and give me search results that actually contain the EXACT term I'm looking for. You're all pretty smart, so figure this out soon pretty please with sugar on top, OK?

While I was wading through all the worthless results in search of that needle in a haystack of irrelevancy, I decided to google my Dad's name to see if there were any news articles about him and his Mayorship. Wow, did I get more than I bargained for! Turns out that the City Council in Hyrum was approached recently about the idea of holding pig wrestling contests at the old rodeo grounds. Seems a lady there in town thought this might be a good way to bring some notoriety to the town (along with some out-of-towners to spend some cash at the local market and gas station). Turns out this caused a big stink among some animal rights activists who showed up to the City Council meeting and protested vehemently. They said that the pigs didn't like this kind of thing. Dad merely asked the common sense question "How do you know they don't like it?" He's right. Maybe they get a rush from wrestling with a human and making them look ridiculous. Who knows?

I also googled my own name too. Do you have any idea how many people there are online with the same name as me? It makes me wish that I was the artist and children's book author that comes up frequently in a search for me. Or makes me wonder about the woman who is a fanatical stamper who competes in online stamping challenges and blogs WAAAYYY too much about it, IMHO. (Most people need a hobby, I think she needs a life.) And that doesn't even count the number of times my name comes up last name-first for any number of Korean Americans. I never did find myself in that Google search. I don't know whether to be pleased or insulted.

After all, how can I possibly get "dooced"* if no one can even find me?

* Dooce = to get fired from ones job because of what you've written on your personal blog.

0 comments:

Subscribe