Digi-Scene

Taking digizines into the new millenium

Apr 18, 2006

Nose to the Grindstone

Posted by Kim |

My boss is nowhere to be found this afternoon. And I'm irritated.

Big changes are afoot here at the international conglomerate that I work for and none of them bode very well for us cubicle dwelling minions. At least this time when they started "right-sizing" the company, they started lopping dead weight from the top first. That at least was refreshing, even if the CEO got what amounted to 18 months of severance pay. What's wrong with him getting the two weeks that most of the people who work for him get? I understand the concept of golden parachutes but that doesn't mean that I can't wish that they would fail to open on the way down.

Last week during my 1:1 with my boss, I got a nice pep talk that "keeping your nose to the grindstone and staying focused on the organizational goals during a time of transition is your best defense against getting the ax". I'm not sure what planet he's from, but in my world, that doesn't amount to squat against a pink slip.

So here I am polishing my nose to a high sheen on this grindstone. And my boss? Since he hasn't been in his office for days now, I'm assuming that he's out on a few job interviews telling other people about how focused he is on organizational goals....

1 comments:

Don said...

Whoa, I'd think you worked for my company except our CEO didn't just get the axe. And you're right, "nose to the grindstone" is bullshit, in the end it's who your friends are that matters.

Subscribe