Digi-Scene

Taking digizines into the new millenium

Aug 28, 2006

Performance Anxiety

Posted by Kim |

I'm not a person with very discriminating tastes. I'm not the one to ask to give a review of a restaurant, a movie, or a theatrical performance. If it doesn't outright suck, everything gets a big thumbs up from me. Which is why I make such a good fan. Particularly of San Diego Padres baseball.

The Padres don't outright suck and because of that, any game they play gets a big thumbs up from me, win or lose. I figure that when they lose, they didn't mean to and they'll make it up to me next game. If they win, it's always a pleasant surprise. I think I personify the Padres type of fan. Which is funny when you contrast us with say an LA Dodgers fan.

LA Dodgers fans seem to bleed Dodger blue. They come to our stadium sporting their bright blue hair wigs and painted faces and they really stand out. A Padres fan stands out if they actually own a piece of team memorabilia like a jersey or a hat. We also sit during the games (soaking up the sun) and we'll rouse ourselves to clap if somone gets on base. Otherwise we're seated until the 7th evening stretch (or the next beer run). The LA Dodgers don't personify a true California team, they still seem to carry with them that ol' Brooklyn Dodgers attitude, lo these many years later.

I think this laid back attitude towards sports comes from our cultural environment here in San Diego. I've been to the east coast a number of times and it's always a culture shock when I go there. Everything really is at a much faster pace and more importantly everything's so damn serious, even sports.

I've never understood the phrase "work hard, play hard." Why? I'd much rather take it easy ALL THE TIME and enjoy life as it comes. That's kind of the way the Padres are right now. Yes, there's only a month left in the season and we're a game behind the Dodgers in the division standings, but there's absolutely no sense of panic here or even anxiety to pass the Dodgers. We're enjoying these final long days of summer and aren't necessarily in a hurry for them to end.

0 comments:

Subscribe